FASHION NEWS: BLACK FRIDAY SHOPPING TO INCREASE THIS YEAR
Black Friday falls on November 28 this year – just six weeks away! – and it brings major discounts in fashion as well as the Best Buys and Crate & Barrels of the world. Actual markdowns will not be revealed for weeks, but that is no reason not to be as ready as possible to jump on the best deals and the looks you have eyed.
Accenture’s annual holiday shopping survey reports that 25% of U.S. consumers plan to spend more during the holidays this year, a national increase of 5% from last year. The average shopper will splurge $718 on gifts at stores hosting sales with varying schedules, often extending before or after the official Black Friday.
For fashionistas looking to develop a game plan early, Deal News has just released a helpful tip sheet compiled from retail research of Black Fridays past. Here are some highlights:
- The best sales will take up to 70% off.
- About 24% of clothing deals during Black Friday will be marked Editors’ Choice.
- Clothing sales start early! The best sales start on Thanksgiving or even Wednesday.
- Last year we saw a surge in sales from luxury outlets like Last Call by Neiman Marcus, especially from Tuesday to Thanksgiving.
- Do NOT pay for shipping! Free shipping is everywhere…but stores are likely to need a (small) minimum purchase on Cyber Monday.
- Cyber Monday sales start as early as Saturday.
And the key to success is keeping connected at the beginning of the week. Many retailers start their Black Friday sales days early online, so be sure to hop on websites and register for email updates.
As for the brick-and-mortar stores, stay mobile! Michelle Rothstein is Senior VP of Marketing at Premium Outlets, which owns Woodbury Commons, one of the East Coast’s premiere outlet malls a little outside of New York City.
“I’m posting sales at like 2am as they’re coming in from merchants. Some of them have known for weeks and months what their promos are, others are just deciding today. Hopefully by Black Friday we’ll be done, but you can see up to the minute what the stores are offering,” said Rothstein on Racked.com.
Plan ahead and enjoy your spoils!
Image via Vogue